This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Aeromexico Boeing 737-800 aircraft sustained significant damage after a mid-air collision shortly before landing in Tijuana on Wednesday. Airline officials are investigating whether the plane crashed into a drone while making its approach into the Mexican airport.
As the cockpit crew was descending the aircraft, which was operating Aeromexico flight 773 from Guadalajara, they heard a “pretty loud bang,” according to Bloomberg. Pictures of the plane from local media show the 737’s nose completely crushed.
— Milenio.com (@Milenio) December 13, 2018
The pilots asked the Tijuana control tower if it could see any damage to the plane’s nose.
“The aircraft landed normally and the passengers’ safety was never compromised,” the airline told Bloomberg.
Aeromexico says the exact cause of the damage is still under investigation.
Last year, the FAA released a report saying that drone strikes can cause more damage to aircraft than bird strikes. As recently as October, a Virgin Atlantic 787 had an extremely close call with a drone while descending into London’s Heathrow Airport.
According to FAA data through June 2018, pilots have spotted about 6,000 drones while flying. But, the NTSB has so far only investigated one mid-air collision with a drone in September 2017, which involved a hobbyist’s drone and an Army helicopter, according to Bloomberg. That number is sure to increase in coming years or even months, especially because the FAA recently made it easier to fly drones near US airports.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees