Passenger Boeing 737 Jet Damaged in Possible Collision With Drone
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Aeromexico Boeing 737-800 aircraft sustained significant damage after a mid-air collision shortly before landing in Tijuana on Wednesday. Airline officials are investigating whether the plane crashed into a drone while making its approach into the Mexican airport.
As the cockpit crew was descending the aircraft, which was operating Aeromexico flight 773 from Guadalajara, they heard a “pretty loud bang,” according to Bloomberg. Pictures of the plane from local media show the 737’s nose completely crushed.
— Milenio.com (@Milenio) December 13, 2018
The pilots asked the Tijuana control tower if it could see any damage to the plane’s nose.
“The aircraft landed normally and the passengers’ safety was never compromised,” the airline told Bloomberg.
Aeromexico says the exact cause of the damage is still under investigation.
Last year, the FAA released a report saying that drone strikes can cause more damage to aircraft than bird strikes. As recently as October, a Virgin Atlantic 787 had an extremely close call with a drone while descending into London’s Heathrow Airport.
According to FAA data through June 2018, pilots have spotted about 6,000 drones while flying. But, the NTSB has so far only investigated one mid-air collision with a drone in September 2017, which involved a hobbyist’s drone and an Army helicopter, according to Bloomberg. That number is sure to increase in coming years or even months, especially because the FAA recently made it easier to fly drones near US airports.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.