Passenger Boeing 737 Jet Damaged in Possible Collision With Drone
An Aeromexico Boeing 737-800 aircraft sustained significant damage after a mid-air collision shortly before landing in Tijuana on Wednesday. Airline officials are investigating whether the plane crashed into a drone while making its approach into the Mexican airport.
As the cockpit crew was descending the aircraft, which was operating Aeromexico flight 773 from Guadalajara, they heard a “pretty loud bang,” according to Bloomberg. Pictures of the plane from local media show the 737’s nose completely crushed.
— Milenio.com (@Milenio) December 13, 2018
The pilots asked the Tijuana control tower if it could see any damage to the plane’s nose.
“The aircraft landed normally and the passengers’ safety was never compromised,” the airline told Bloomberg.
Aeromexico says the exact cause of the damage is still under investigation.
Last year, the FAA released a report saying that drone strikes can cause more damage to aircraft than bird strikes. As recently as October, a Virgin Atlantic 787 had an extremely close call with a drone while descending into London’s Heathrow Airport.
According to FAA data through June 2018, pilots have spotted about 6,000 drones while flying. But, the NTSB has so far only investigated one mid-air collision with a drone in September 2017, which involved a hobbyist’s drone and an Army helicopter, according to Bloomberg. That number is sure to increase in coming years or even months, especially because the FAA recently made it easier to fly drones near US airports.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.