Paine Field Gets Green Light to Launch Flights on March 4
Paine Field – Snohomish County Airport (PAE) in Everett, Washington, has been given the green light to launch passenger flights in early March.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) gave its approval on Wednesday for the airport to launch its operations. Alaska Airlines will be the first carrier to launch flights out of PAE on March 4, and United will start its operations on March 31. Those two airlines will occupy the two gates in the airport’s modern new passenger terminal.
AvGeeks have closely watched the grand opening of the airport’s sleek passenger terminal, which was originally slated for early February but was delayed due to regulatory complications during the government shutdown earlier this year. The airport had been waiting for the FAA’s approval on a revised environmental assessment.
According to the Associated Press, there are still a few minor regulatory boxes to check before the first airline flights leave from the PAE runway, including $642,000 in fees to be paid to Snohomish County from the private company running the airport and an amended operating certificate from the FAA. But those tasks seem to be largely formalities that will be completed by the deadline.
PAE isn’t literally new — it’s existed for decades as the place where Boeing builds most of its aircraft, except 737s and some 787s. It has also been used by airlines for aircraft deliveries and maintenance. But only now is it adding commercial flights out of its stylish passenger terminal with a mission to “bring civility back” to flying.
Featured photo courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees