This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Holding several superlatives in the field of travel, John Glenn is an icon to AvGeeks worldwide. Today, the helmet he wore from his famous transcontinental “Project Bullet” flight back in 1957 is going up for auction. The starting price? A casual $100,000.
Project Bullet was the nickname Glenn gave to his historic flight when he became the first pilot to make a supersonic transcontinental flight from Los Alamitos Naval Air Station in California to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York. He broke speed records of his time and traveled faster than (you guessed it) a bullet, arriving in New York in under 3.5 hours, in a Vought F8U Crusader fighter jet.
One the side of the helmet lies his name “J.H. Glenn” in gold font.
Besides his historic Project Bullet flight, the late Glenn also was a US senator, the oldest person to fly in space at age 77 and the first American to ever orbit the Earth – in fact, he orbited the Earth three times in that mission.
Although one-of-a-kind, TPG can’t help add this piece of aviation history as an honorable mention to our Father’s Day gift ideas. Besides, isn’t your travel-savvy dad worth the big bucks?
The helmet hits the auction block Thursday. It will be put under the gavel by Nate D. Sanders Auctions.
Featured image by Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees