Own a Piece of AvGeek History: John Glenn’s Helmet Is up for Auction
Holding several superlatives in the field of travel, John Glenn is an icon to AvGeeks worldwide. Today, the helmet he wore from his famous transcontinental “Project Bullet” flight back in 1957 is going up for auction. The starting price? A casual $100,000.
Project Bullet was the nickname Glenn gave to his historic flight when he became the first pilot to make a supersonic transcontinental flight from Los Alamitos Naval Air Station in California to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York. He broke speed records of his time and traveled faster than (you guessed it) a bullet, arriving in New York in under 3.5 hours, in a Vought F8U Crusader fighter jet.
One the side of the helmet lies his name “J.H. Glenn” in gold font.
Besides his historic Project Bullet flight, the late Glenn also was a US senator, the oldest person to fly in space at age 77 and the first American to ever orbit the Earth – in fact, he orbited the Earth three times in that mission.
Although one-of-a-kind, TPG can’t help add this piece of aviation history as an honorable mention to our Father’s Day gift ideas. Besides, isn’t your travel-savvy dad worth the big bucks?
The helmet hits the auction block Thursday. It will be put under the gavel by Nate D. Sanders Auctions.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees