This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Holding several superlatives in the field of travel, John Glenn is an icon to AvGeeks worldwide. Today, the helmet he wore from his famous transcontinental “Project Bullet” flight back in 1957 is going up for auction. The starting price? A casual $100,000.
Project Bullet was the nickname Glenn gave to his historic flight when he became the first pilot to make a supersonic transcontinental flight from Los Alamitos Naval Air Station in California to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York. He broke speed records of his time and traveled faster than (you guessed it) a bullet, arriving in New York in under 3.5 hours, in a Vought F8U Crusader fighter jet.
One the side of the helmet lies his name “J.H. Glenn” in gold font.
Besides his historic Project Bullet flight, the late Glenn also was a US senator, the oldest person to fly in space at age 77 and the first American to ever orbit the Earth – in fact, he orbited the Earth three times in that mission.
Although one-of-a-kind, TPG can’t help add this piece of aviation history as an honorable mention to our Father’s Day gift ideas. Besides, isn’t your travel-savvy dad worth the big bucks?
The helmet hits the auction block Thursday. It will be put under the gavel by Nate D. Sanders Auctions.
Featured image by Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees