OpenTable quietly limited discounts on Kayak hotel bookings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In January, we reported that a new partnership between OpenTable and Kayak would allow customers to use OpenTable Dining Points toward discounts on hotel stays.
At the time, both brands publicly stated customers could save up to $200 per reservation on hotel stays booked via a dedicated Kayak portal using OpenTable points.
It appears, however, that the maximum discount has been capped at $80 total per reservation — 40% of the original maximum discount promised. Both Kayak’s and OpenTable’s announcements have been updated to reflect the new discount range of $20 to $80 per reservation, although third-party sites still retain the original verbiage.
Allowing consumers to apply OpenTable Dining Points toward hotel stays was a clever way for OpenTable to drive customers back to its restaurant reservation platform. In the highly competitive space, OpenTable has had to fight for space against new competitors such as Resy, Quandoo and even Yelp’s proprietary reservation platform.
Since both OpenTable and Kayak are owned by parent company Booking Holdings, Inc., it made a lot of sense for the brands to offer perks that wouldn’t put revenue into a competitor’s pocket. But it’s very likely the brands began losing too much revenue under the original discount model, since many no-frills budget hotels can be reserved for less than $200 per night. This would explain why the company, which also owns Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline and Rentalcars.com, would scale back the cash total on each discount allowed per reservation.
And though the rate of redemption remains the same, OpenTable and Kayak now offer travelers slightly different redemption options. Originally, OpenTable Dining Points could be applied to each reservation in 1,000-, 2,000-, 5,000- or 10,000-point increments. Now, customers can choose to apply anywhere between 1,000 and 4,000 points for each reservation. Every batch of 1,000 OpenTable Dining Points is equivalent to $20 off.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees