Cacio e pepe, cauliflower crust and more dining trends you’ll see on your travels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the year comes to a close, we know you’re working up an appetite for hot new restaurants and craving trips to experience some of the world’s greatest culinary trends. And according to OpenTable, it probably involves a lot of cauliflower crust.
The online restaurant reservation service just released some interesting stats about this year’s most popular dining trends. In fact, 10 billion diners were seated using the software — more than the world’s population, said COO Andrea Johnston. If you, like me, plan your travels around where you’re eating next, it’s time to take notes.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
First and foremost, health is at the top of diners’ minds. “Keto” was mentioned in reviews a whopping 683% more compared to 2017, while “plant based” mentions increased 136%. The words “cauliflower crust” also skyrocketed by 487%. Are you listening, airlines?
Diners are also looking to indulge a bit, especially when global cuisines are on the menu. “Queso” mentions increased by nearly 31% while “nachos” increased by 19% over the last three years. Review mentioning “potstickers” saw an uptick of 61% and “cacio e pepe” — a tried-and-true Italian delicacy — increased by 96% since 2017.
If you’re planning on booking trips based on where you’re eating, you’ll want to look into a trip to Washington, D.C. The city is home to Founding Farmers, the most-booked restaurant of the year. It features American plates crafted from ingredients sourced from family farms all across the country, whenever possible.
Overall, American was the most popular cuisine for breakfast and lunch, but most diners were looking to feast on Italian for dinner.
OpenTable isn’t just great for making restaurant reservations. As of January, you can redeem your OpenTable points for hotel stays booked through Kayak, making it an easy way to get a solid discount on your dream getaway. Combine that with the points you’ll earn by having a card that earns you bonus points for dining and you’re golden. Our top picks are the American Express® Gold Card (4x points at restaurants) and the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points).
Is there anything better than knowing all that cauliflower crust and cacio e pepe is getting you closer to your next trip? We think not.
Featured photo courtesy of Founding Farmers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees