Experience the Opening Games at the Colosseum Just Like the Ancient Romans Did
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you needed another reason to book a trip to Rome, we just found one: you can now experience the Opening Games at the Colosseum just like the Ancient Romans did.
On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays through October 27, you’ll be able to go back in time thanks to some of the best special effects technology has to offer. Think: Holograms, intricate lighting and intense sound effects that are going to make you feel like you took a trip to the year 80 AD.
The show is known as “Sangue e Arena,” which translates to “blood and sand.” (Don’t worry, these games won’t actually be as gruesome as the original ones were — it’s all just for show.) It even takes place directly on the floor of the Colosseum! The city’s archaeological director, Alfonsina Russo, said that she wants visitors to feel like the ancient Romans would have — “the courage of the gladiators, the thrill of seeing ferocious beasts arrive in the arena far from outside the Empire.” It doesn’t get much more authentically Roman than that.
The best part? Tickets are affordable. Reduced rates for children ages six to 12 are only €22.00, and adult tickets are €25.00. (It’s not recommended to bring children under six years of age.)
Now if you’ll excuse us, we have a flight to catch…
H/T: Lonely Planet
Feature image courtesy of the Parco Archeologico del Colosseo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.