Experience the Opening Games at the Colosseum Just Like the Ancient Romans Did
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you needed another reason to book a trip to Rome, we just found one: you can now experience the Opening Games at the Colosseum just like the Ancient Romans did.
On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays through October 27, you’ll be able to go back in time thanks to some of the best special effects technology has to offer. Think: Holograms, intricate lighting and intense sound effects that are going to make you feel like you took a trip to the year 80 AD.
The show is known as “Sangue e Arena,” which translates to “blood and sand.” (Don’t worry, these games won’t actually be as gruesome as the original ones were — it’s all just for show.) It even takes place directly on the floor of the Colosseum! The city’s archaeological director, Alfonsina Russo, said that she wants visitors to feel like the ancient Romans would have — “the courage of the gladiators, the thrill of seeing ferocious beasts arrive in the arena far from outside the Empire.” It doesn’t get much more authentically Roman than that.
The best part? Tickets are affordable. Reduced rates for children ages six to 12 are only €22.00, and adult tickets are €25.00. (It’s not recommended to bring children under six years of age.)
Now if you’ll excuse us, we have a flight to catch…
H/T: Lonely Planet
Feature image courtesy of the Parco Archeologico del Colosseo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees