Oneworld Will Open Its Own Lounges, Introduce Better Airline Integration Later This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the Oneworld alliance marks its 20th anniversary, it’s announced a slew of improvements to the passenger experience, highlighted by soon-to-be-opened Oneworld-branded lounges.
At a press conference in London on Friday with executives from 13 of the member airlines in attendance, including Oneworld Connect member Fiji Airways, the alliance unveiled that it plans to open the first Oneworld airport lounge at some point in 2019.
“We’ve got a shortlist of airports around the world and in the middle of this year we will be announcing the first Oneworld lounge,” said Oneworld CEO Rob Gurney.
The alliance has yet to confirm which airport would get the first Oneworld lounge, but it plans to open a number of the branded lounges around the world. Oneworld elite members (Sapphire and Emerald) would be granted access to the lounges, as well as passengers flying in premium cabins with a member airline.
Competitors Star Alliance and SkyTeam both have their own versions of an alliance-branded lounge. Currently, Oneworld says that eligible passengers have access to 650 Oneworld member lounges across the world. The Oneworld-branded offering would be in addition to that.
At Friday’s press conference, Gurney also detailed that passengers traveling on a multi-member itinerary will be able to check-in, get a boarding pass, track baggage and receive flight updates for all segments on a single, preferred airline app beginning later this year. The functionality is already available for passengers traveling on a multi-segment itinerary with Qatar and Cathay Pacific. Later this year, passengers traveling with all Oneworld airlines will be able to do the same.
As announced in 2018, Royal Air Maroc is joining the alliance in 2020, and Fiji Airways will be a full Oneworld Connect member next month. With Royal Air Maroc’s network, Oneworld believes it’s poised to take on the growing Africa market.
Featured image by Anna Zvereva via Wikipedia.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees