Oneworld Will Open Its Own Lounges, Introduce Better Airline Integration Later This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the Oneworld alliance marks its 20th anniversary, it’s announced a slew of improvements to the passenger experience, highlighted by soon-to-be-opened Oneworld-branded lounges.
At a press conference in London on Friday with executives from 13 of the member airlines in attendance, including Oneworld Connect member Fiji Airways, the alliance unveiled that it plans to open the first Oneworld airport lounge at some point in 2019.
“We’ve got a shortlist of airports around the world and in the middle of this year we will be announcing the first Oneworld lounge,” said Oneworld CEO Rob Gurney.
The alliance has yet to confirm which airport would get the first Oneworld lounge, but it plans to open a number of the branded lounges around the world. Oneworld elite members (Sapphire and Emerald) would be granted access to the lounges, as well as passengers flying in premium cabins with a member airline.
Competitors Star Alliance and SkyTeam both have their own versions of an alliance-branded lounge. Currently, Oneworld says that eligible passengers have access to 650 Oneworld member lounges across the world. The Oneworld-branded offering would be in addition to that.
At Friday’s press conference, Gurney also detailed that passengers traveling on a multi-member itinerary will be able to check-in, get a boarding pass, track baggage and receive flight updates for all segments on a single, preferred airline app beginning later this year. The functionality is already available for passengers traveling on a multi-segment itinerary with Qatar and Cathay Pacific. Later this year, passengers traveling with all Oneworld airlines will be able to do the same.
As announced in 2018, Royal Air Maroc is joining the alliance in 2020, and Fiji Airways will be a full Oneworld Connect member next month. With Royal Air Maroc’s network, Oneworld believes it’s poised to take on the growing Africa market.
Featured image by Anna Zvereva via Wikipedia.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.