This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve traveled on New York City’s subway or bus network, you’ve probably noticed the antiquated payment system — New Yorkers have been using MetroCards for some 25 years now, and while plastic cards beat the old token system, they’re still incredibly temperamental, and a pain to purchase and reload.
Other countries have been using contactless payments for over a decade — Japan’s Suica card launched in 2001 — but the United States’ most populous city has lagged far behind. Now, we finally know when NYC’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) will get a much-needed 21st-century upgrade.
According to multiple reports, the MTA will finally introduce contactless payments next year, first on the Lexington Avenue Line, between Grand Central to Atlantic Avenue. Come May 2019, passengers riding the subway on 4, 5 and 6 trains between those stations will be able to pass through a fare gate by tapping their credit card or smartphone on a special terminal at each turnstile, eliminating the need to purchase a separate card.
The new terminals are expected to be compatible with smartphone services like Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, in addition to credit cards with tap-to-pay support. Metal cards don’t support contactless payments, unfortunately, so if you’re hoping to earn 3x points on subway swipes with your Chase Sapphire Reserve, you’ll need to register for mobile payments, first. Still, that’s a small price to pay to avoid swiping — and re-swiping — a MetroCard.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees