Not just shampoo: New study reveals the shocking things people are stealing from hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I have a personal rule when it comes to taking stuff from a hotel: Don’t bring home anything you wouldn’t want to see under a black light. I’ll take those tiny shampoos, a pen, any letterhead stationery. But Travel & Leisure reports on an alarming study conducted by Wellness Heaven showing that plenty of travelers aren’t as picky.
The study itemizes the most commonly stolen articles from 1,157 hotels, all of which are four and five stars properties. Much of the information would surprise no one — cutlery, hangers, towels. But these hotels reported that lamps, wall art, and mattresses are disappearing, as well. A bewildering 4.2% of these hotels claim they’ve got vanishing mattresses.
While it’s hard to even fathom step 1 of a mattress heist, the math suggests that at least 48 mattresses have been stolen. Interestingly enough, the data also shows that a five-star hotel guest is 8.1x more likely to steal a mattress than a four-star hotel guest.
There are also anecdotal accounts of stolen furniture, a grand piano, and taxidermy from the lobbies.
PSA: You don’t have to steal to get your favorite hotel mattress for cheap
I get it — luxury hotel mattresses are divine. But you don’t have to steal one to have a hotel mattress in your own bedroom.
Very few talk about this, but Marriott sells beds from many of its best hotel brands. If you stay at brands like the St. Regis, W Hotels, Ritz-Carlton, Westin and many others, you can purchase that exact same experience online. The beds aren’t cheap, but there’s a way to get a potential $1,000+ discount.
When you spend 50 nights with Marriott in a calendar year, you earn something called a “Choice Benefit.” You can choose from things like five Suite Night Awards, five Elite Night Credits, or a 40% discount on your favorite Marriott mattress. This discount effectively allows you to purchase your absolute favorite hotel bed for less money than the best beds you can buy from those fad online mattress brands like Leesa and Casper.
Forego the five-finger discount and opt for the 50-night discount. If you travel regularly, reaching 50 nights isn’t an issue, especially if you have a Marriott credit card like the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card, as Marriott cards give you an automatic 15 elite night credits each year. In other words, you’ll only need to stay 35 nights in a calendar year to earn the 40% mattress discount.
Featured image courtesy of hadkhanong/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees