Not just shampoo: New study reveals the shocking things people are stealing from hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I have a personal rule when it comes to taking stuff from a hotel: Don’t bring home anything you wouldn’t want to see under a black light. I’ll take those tiny shampoos, a pen, any letterhead stationery. But Travel & Leisure reports on an alarming study conducted by Wellness Heaven showing that plenty of travelers aren’t as picky.
The study itemizes the most commonly stolen articles from 1,157 hotels, all of which are four and five stars properties. Much of the information would surprise no one — cutlery, hangers, towels. But these hotels reported that lamps, wall art, and mattresses are disappearing, as well. A bewildering 4.2% of these hotels claim they’ve got vanishing mattresses.
While it’s hard to even fathom step 1 of a mattress heist, the math suggests that at least 48 mattresses have been stolen. Interestingly enough, the data also shows that a five-star hotel guest is 8.1x more likely to steal a mattress than a four-star hotel guest.
There are also anecdotal accounts of stolen furniture, a grand piano, and taxidermy from the lobbies.
PSA: You don’t have to steal to get your favorite hotel mattress for cheap
I get it — luxury hotel mattresses are divine. But you don’t have to steal one to have a hotel mattress in your own bedroom.
Very few talk about this, but Marriott sells beds from many of its best hotel brands. If you stay at brands like the St. Regis, W Hotels, Ritz-Carlton, Westin and many others, you can purchase that exact same experience online. The beds aren’t cheap, but there’s a way to get a potential $1,000+ discount.
When you spend 50 nights with Marriott in a calendar year, you earn something called a “Choice Benefit.” You can choose from things like five Suite Night Awards, five Elite Night Credits, or a 40% discount on your favorite Marriott mattress. This discount effectively allows you to purchase your absolute favorite hotel bed for less money than the best beds you can buy from those fad online mattress brands like Leesa and Casper.
Forego the five-finger discount and opt for the 50-night discount. If you travel regularly, reaching 50 nights isn’t an issue, especially if you have a Marriott credit card like the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card, as Marriott cards give you an automatic 15 elite night credits each year. In other words, you’ll only need to stay 35 nights in a calendar year to earn the 40% mattress discount.
Featured image courtesy of hadkhanong/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.