Norwegian Further Reduces Service From Northeastern Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year Norwegian rapidly expanded its US service by focusing on serving smaller airports outside of large cities. It launched transatlantic service from three smaller northeastern airports using narrow-body Boeing 737s to keep costs low.
In January, the budget airline announced that it was pulling out of Hartford (BDL) altogether and would be reducing frequencies on other routes, too.
Now, Norwegian has told TPG that it’s making even more cuts from Providence (PVD) and New York Stewart (SWF). It will cut winter service on four routes — Norwegian will only operate seasonal summer flights on the following routes:
- Providence (PVD) to Edinburgh (EDI)
- Providence (PVD) to Cork (ORK)
- Providence (PVD) to Shannon (SNN)
- New York Stewart (SWF) to Belfast (BFS)
A Norwegian spokesman tells us that the 2018 summer season is already in operation, meaning we won’t see the cuts until October 2018. It currently operates 17 weekly flights to European destinations from Providence (PVD). It will continue to run daily flights between Providence (PVD) and Dublin (DUB) year-round.
Norwegian says that flights were cut due to low demand and to “better focus on profitability” — it’s also a possible result of expanding too fast. Norwegian might need the aircraft to operate on more profitable routes.
We’ve reviewed Norwegian’s 737-800 on a flight from New York City’s regional Stewart Airport (SWF) to Edinburgh (EDI) and thought it made for a solid experience on a transatlantic flight, especially considering the low price.
It remains to be seen if the airline’s strategy of operating small aircraft from less popular airports will work. Norwegian recently added 787 service on four long-haul routes but all from major airports. Although, it will be adding an extra daily flight from New York Stewart (SWF) to Dublin (DUB) this month.
Featured image by Andrew W. Sieber / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees