Norwegian Cruise Line Mechanical Problems End Ship’s Voyage Early
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Mechanical issues have forced a Norwegian Cruise Line ship that operates a popular Caribbean route to dock early.
The Norwegian Jade ended a scheduled 10-day cruise after only a few days at sea after leaving Miami on Friday. The 2,400-passenger ship docked in Puerto Rico — its first port of call — and Norwegian began making arrangements to fly passengers home.
According to Seatrade Cruise News, shortly before the ship was scheduled to depart San Juan on Sunday night, the captain announced that the remainder of the voyage was canceled. Its other scheduled ports of call included St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Martin.
It is still unclear exactly what mechanical problems the ship was having, as Norwegian hasn’t specified, but it did say all services on board the ship are fully operational.
“While this issue does not affect the safety of the ship, it will prevent her from sailing the scheduled itinerary,” the cruise line told USA Today. The Norwegian Jade remained docked in Puerto Rico through Tuesday, and then it sailed (with only crew on board) to its home port of Miami to get the necessary repairs. All passengers were required to be off the ship by Tuesday.
The ship had an entire technical overhaul in 2017, Cruise News reports, with thrusters, stabilizers and an exhaust gas cleaning system among some of the parts that received extensive work.
The cruise line apologized to customers for the botched vacation and offered them full refunds and a full credit for a future cruise in the same amount of the lost fare.
“We are very sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment this unexpected situation has caused, especially during this special holiday cruise, and we thank our loyal guests for their patience and understanding,” Norwegian said.
The Jade, which was built in 2006, is scheduled to depart for its next cruise from Miami on Nov. 26 for an 11-day voyage to the Panama Canal.
Featured image via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees