Norwegian Air implements fees for cabin bags, increases checked-luggage allowance
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Not a light packer? That habit will soon cost you more than ever.
Norwegian Air framed the change as an improvement for customer experience.
“It is a common misperception that there is enough room in the cabin for all passengers to bring an overhead cabin bag,” said Cecilie Nybø Carlsen, Norwegian’s vice president of product management. “With the new policy in place, our goal is that boarding will be smoother for our passengers, we can avoid spending time rearranging carry-on baggage in the overhead lockers and help ensure that our aircraft depart on time.”
Travelers who don’t want to pay the new fees can upgrade to a higher fare class at additional cost: LowFare+ customers are allowed a free personal item, one overhead carry-on as well as one checked bag, while Flex, Premium or PremiumFlex fares can pack an overhead carry-on as well as two pieces of checked luggage.
To offset the new change, Norwegian increased size and weight allowances on cabin- and checked-luggage requirements. The maximum weight for each checked bag is now 23 kg (50.7 pounds), up from 20 kg (44 pounds). Flex and Premium customers can also bring on a combined total of 15 kg (33 pounds) of cabin luggage, up from 10 kg (22 pounds). All travelers are allowed to bring one airport shopping bag in addition to their ticket-type baggage allowance, according to the airline guidelines.
“It’s important for us that everyone has a good travel experience when they fly Norwegian,” Carlsen said.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees