Norwegian says ‘no thanks’ to London Heathrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: this post has been updated with information about the plans for Norwegian’s slot allotment.
Norwegian Air won’t be landing at London’s Heathrow Airport this summer after all.
Late last year, the carrier won slots for three round-trip flights at the London hub in a lottery for summer flight schedule allocations.
But now Norwegian has decided not utilize those slots.
“After careful consideration, which took into account the current fleet pressures placed on the airline by well documented issues with a specific Rolls Royce Trent engine type and the continued grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we have decided to return the slots as they do not fit into our network plan at this current time,” Anders Lindström, a spokesman for the airline, said in a a statement.
Norwegian’s London operations are based at Gatwick Airport, and adding a few flights at Heathrow would bring more expenses and complexity to the airline.
The low cost carrier has struggled to turn a profit, and Lindström’s statement acknowledged that turning down the Heathrow slots was part of Norwegian’s strategies for growth and profitability.
Airport Coordination International, the organization that allocates slots at Heathrow, told TPG on Thursday that Norwegian’s would be reallocated “in accordance with the Slot Regulation.”
Featured photo by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees