Norwegian Air axing Madrid flights from New York JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Norwegian Air will drop its nonstop service between New York JFK and Madrid, ending the service less than two years after it began.
Norwegian had been flying the route four times a week with Boeing 787 Dreamliners. But the last Madrid departure from JFK appears to be March 26, Norwegian’s online booking engine shows. The change was first reported by Routes Online.
“We continuously review our network to ensure we meet demand and offer highly competitive routes,” Norwegian spokesman Anders Lindström said in a statement to TPG. “With the aircraft used for the JFK-Madrid route, we saw much greater opportunities reallocating it to serve new routes where we see greater demand.”
Lindström pointed to a separate expansion announcement made by the carrier on Tuesday in which Norwegian announced two new European routes from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and another from Denver (DEN). Norwegian also announced earlier this month that it would launch nonstop service from Austin (AUS) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG).
Beyond that, Lindström added, “we have also increased frequencies on a number of our most popular routes, including Los Angeles-Madrid, which continues to do very well for us. For next summer we are increasing frequencies to five flights a week between LAX and Madrid to meet the demand on that route.”
As for Norwegian’s JFK-Madrid service that will end in March, it first launched in July 2018. Norwegian will still offer either seasonal or yearend service from JFK to nine European destinations. They include Amsterdam (AMS), Athens (ATH), Barcelona (BCN), Copenhagen (CPH), London Gatwick (LGW), Oslo (OSL), Paris Charles de Gaulle, Rome (FCO) and Stockholm (ARN).
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson/TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.