Disabled United Airlines 757 Shuts Down Newark Airport, Expect Delays and Cancellations
An “aircraft incident” involving a United Airlines Boeing 757 with 166 passengers on board caused a complete shutdown at Newark-Liberty International Airport (EWR) for about an hour on Saturday. The airport has reopened, but travelers can expect ongoing delays.
Flight 627 “landed at Newark at 1 p.m. on Runway 22L, then skidded off the left side of the pavement, with the left main landing gear stuck in a grassy area,” the FAA said in a statement posted on Twitter.
The jet was arriving from Denver, reportedly bouncing twice before a hard landing that damaged the forward landing gear.
In a statement to TPG, United confirmed that: “United flight 627 from Denver to Newark, New Jersey experienced multiple flat tires upon landing in Newark. After landing, the aircraft became disabled which is currently affecting operations at Newark Airport. For those on the flight, we arranged transport for passengers from the aircraft to the airport terminal and paramedics were on site as a precaution. We’re in close touch with the FAA and airport authorities and are working expeditiously to safely remove the disabled aircraft so that operations at the airport can return to normal.”
United said that no customers needed to be taken to the hospital, and that those who had minor injuries refused medical attention. The airline is currently assessing the aircraft for damage.
Incoming flights were diverted to other airports in the region, including Newburg/Stewart, New York; New York-JFK; New York LaGuardia; Boston Logan; Philadelphia; Richmond, Virginia; Washington Dulles and Cleveland.
Travelers scheduled to fly through Newark Liberty International on Saturday should brace for major disruptions as airlines try to get back on schedule. Already, nearly 20% of the entire day’s schedule was running behind schedule as of 3:10 pm ET, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware. More delays were likely at Newark, already prone to backups in all but the best of conditions.
Cancellations were less of a problem as of 3:10 p.m., with FlightAware showing 30 departure cancellations and about two dozen arrival cancellations. Still, the cancellation tally could tick up if carriers are slow to get back on track after the hourlong suspension of service.
Newark officials advised travelers to check with their airlines on the status of their flights, and a number of Newark-bound flights had diverted to airports across the region.
Additional reporting from Ben Mutzabaugh. This post has been updated with a statement from United.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.