New York county renames airport after abolitionist Frederick Douglass
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flyers to Rochester, New York, will get a free lesson on the abolitionist leader Frederick Douglass before or after their flights.
The Monroe County legislature renamed the airport “Frederick Douglass – Greater Rochester International Airport” (ROC) at a vote on Aug. 11. The renaming includes the addition of educational material on the life and legacy of Douglass in the terminal, according to county documents.
“Each time residents and visitors arrive to our airport, they will be reminded of Douglass’s life and legacy of fighting oppression,” local legislators Vince Felder and Karla Boyce told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. “Our remembrance through the airport renaming serves as recognition of our past and a promise of the work our community will do to make Monroe County a welcoming place for all.”
Douglass, who was born into slavery in Maryland in 1818 and escaped to freedom in 1838, settled in Rochester in 1847. There, he published abolitionist literature and became a leader in the movement. He is buried in the Mount Hope Cemetery in Rochester.
The move comes amid widespread recognition of the struggles — and contributions — of Black Americans through the Black Lives Matter movement.
The airport renaming comes the same week as Washington, D.C., completed the arches on a new Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge that will span the Anacostia River in the city that is due to open in 2021.
Rochester is served by Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines — the largest by passenger numbers in 2019 — JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines.
Featured image by Michael Robinson Chavez/The Washington Post via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees