New York City’s Busiest Foreign Carrier? Would You Believe Norwegian?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Quick, name the foreign airline with the biggest passenger count in the New York City area.
Lufthansa? British Airways? Pat yourself on the back if you guessed Norwegian Air.
The airline says it passed Air Canada to take the top cumulative passenger count for foreign carriers flying out of the five airports run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
Norwegian, citing official Port Authority passenger numbers, says it tallied 2,078,847 passengers across the three New York City-area airports the airline uses during a rolling 12-month period ending in February 2019.
That was enough to overtake Air Canada, which previously held the top passenger count for foreign airlines flying from New York City. Norwegian had already overtaken rivals like Lufthansa, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Emirates to become the top foreign carrier (by passengers) on transatlantic routes.
For the 12-month window that ended in February, Norwegian says it finished with 11,800 more passengers than Air Canada across the New York-area airports.
Norwegian offers 11 routes to Europe from New York JFK, Newark Liberty (EWR) and Newburgh/Stewart (SWF) airports. Air Canada and its Air Canada Express affiliates fly several Canadian routes from New York LaGuardia (LGA) and EWR.
“If New York City is the barometer for success in the airline industry, our rapidly growing passenger numbers are proof positive that Norwegian is here to stay, with further efforts to deepen our roots in this market in the forthcoming years,” Bjørn Kjos, Norwegian’s founder and CEO, said in a statement. “Being number one is a badge of honor that I attribute to the incredible crew, pilots, ground teams, and all the employees that make Norwegian an award-winning airline … ,” he added in his statement.
Norwegian began flying from the New York City area in 2013 with nonstop service to Oslo and Stockholm on Boeing 787 Dreamliners before growing to its current lineup.
Norwegian has grown rapidly not only in the New York City area but at airports across the United States.
However, that expansion hasn’t always been accompanied with a strong balance sheet. The company struggled with losses in 2018 and embarked on a cost-cutting plan last year to help it rein in costs.
Featured image: Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees