New York City will ‘fully reopen’ in July, mayor says
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City plans to “fully reopen” on July 1, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Thursday.
“Our plan is to fully reopen New York City on July . We are ready,” de Blasio said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”
According to de Blasio, there will be no restrictions on restaurants, shops, businesses or theaters. However, Broadway theaters will still remain shut until September, according to Bloomberg. Currently, Broadway is shut down under the guidance of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s limited indoor performance capacity regulations.
And as much as the mayor wants the city to reopen, it’s ultimately up to the governor or state lawmakers to lift COVID-19 restrictions.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
New York City became the epicenter of the COVID-19 crisis early on in the pandemic. As the city went on lockdown, horrifying stories emerged of overfilled hospitals and high death rates caused by the virus. The city has recorded nearly 1 million positive COVID-19 cases and over 32,000 deaths, according to a tracker from The New York Times.
But the city also mounted an aggressive vaccination campaign in recent months, and 29% of New Yorkers are now fully vaccinated against the coronavirus. The mayor cited vaccination rates for reopening the city.
Currently, New York State is under Phase 4 of reopening. That means indoor arenas are allowed to operate at 10% capacity, though fans must wear masks and test negative for coronavirus within 72 hours of the event. Outdoor arenas and performing arts venues can operate at 20% capacity and indoor dining has increased to half capacity in New York City. The midnight curfew on outdoor dining will end on May 17 and will end for outdoor dining on May 31.
The New York City subway remains closed from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. every morning for cleaning.
“This is going to be the summer of New York City. You’re going to see amazing activities, cultural activities coming back. I think people are going to flock to New York City because they want to live again,” de Blasio said.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees