New York City Bans Doors-Off Helicopter Tours, but There’s a Major Loophole
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) announced Wednesday an amendment that bans doors-off helicopter tourism from operating out of the Downtown Manhattan Heliport (DMH).
Formerly, DMH was the only heliport in the city where tourists flights were allowed to take off. The new policy comes about one month after a doors-off helicopter crashed into the East River, killing all five passengers on board. Before the amendment, there were no doors-off helicopter flights operated out of DMH — the policy will ensure that practices “will be codified as permanent policy,” according to a press release from NYCEDC.
The flight that crashed into the East River on March 11 was owned by Liberty Helicopters and operated by New Jersey-based FlyNYON. Following the fatal flight, a city-wide ban on doors-off helicopter tourism was put in effect. The FAA temporarily banned “doors-off helicopter flights that involved restraints that can not be released quickly in an emergency.”
“It is our hope that by officially banning doors-off helicopter flights out of New York City, we will help improve air safety within the five boroughs,” said NYCEDC President James Patchett. “We are thankful for the leadership and advocacy of the City Council on this important issue.”
The new policy, however, only pertains to helicopters in New York City and the five boroughs. Helicopters that take off outside of the city, like FlyNYON in New Jersey, can still fly with tourists in a doors-off helicopter — NYCEDC has no jurisdiction outside of the city limits. FlyNYON confirmed earlier today that they are still operating under normal circumstances and are still offering doors-off tours into New York City.
“By calling for today’s hearing of the Committee on Economic Development, we were hopeful that immediate positive safety changes would occur for helicopter aviation in the city,” said Council Member Paul Vallone, chair of the NYC Economic Development Committee. “This agreement is very welcomed news and takes a huge step in the right direction.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees