Sweden’s New Aviation Tax Could Add up to $49 per Ticket
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sweden has introduced a new environmental aviation tax that hopes to mitigate the carbon output of the country’s aviation industry.
Aviation is responsible for about 3%-8% of the world’s total carbon emissions, according to numbers from the US Government Accountability Office. That’s more than South Korea’s total carbon emission. The Swedish government has said that a dramatic uptick in the number of airline passengers is behind the tax.
The hope is by levying a fee of roughly $3-$49 per passenger, depending on the flight’s destination, Sweden’s government can decrease the country’s number of airline passengers, which would mean a decreased carbon output. Swedish officials predict the tax will mean 450,000–600,000 fewer flyers in the country per year, which would mean roughly a 2% reduction in Sweden’s carbon emissions.
A poll in a Swedish newspaper says that more than half of Swedes support the tax. Critics, however, say while the new fee might reduce Sweden’s carbon output, it will likely just shift it to neighboring countries whose airports could pick up the slack. At least one route has already been nixed due to the fee — Norwegian Air’s flight from Karlstad (KSD) to Alicante (ALC). Norwegian also told the Swedish government that the tax might interfere with the carrier’s goal of making Stockholm one of its major hubs, Business Insider Nordic reports.
Airports Council International found that global passenger airline traffic increased 4.9% year-over-year in January 2018, including a 5.2% uptick at the world’s 20 busiest airports.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Featured photo of Scandinavian Airlines jetliner taking off from the Stockholm Arlanda International airport. (Photo by ArtesiaWells/Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees