What You Need To Know About Alitalia’s Basic Economy Fares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Many airlines these days, including American, Delta and United, are offering ‘basic’ economy fares. While in most cases this simply means that the base fare remains the same and you end up paying more for things you used to get for free, it does seem to be a trend in the industry.
Alitalia is the latest to follow this trend by offering a basic economy ticket known as “Light Economy.” Like with most other airlines, these means you don’t get to choose your seat ahead of time and other restrictions around what types of luggage you can bring on board the aircraft.
For Alitalia that means that if you’re flying on a Light Economy ticket, you will be limited to a single carry-on bag that weighs less than 8 kilograms. If you book a ‘classic’ economy ticket, you get a checked bag included in your ticket price. With Light Economy, you also won’t be able to make any changes to your booking before your flight. And if something happens that causes you to miss your trip, you won’t be able to get a refund — yet another reason to have travel protection.
While it seems that this trend of offering lower basic fares is here to stay, it’s always a good idea to figure out the final cost of your flight if you have to check baggage because you can’t bring it on board, or you want to be able to choose your seat before you check in for your flight. In the long run, you might be better off paying for the slightly more expensive ticket in some cases.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees