Need a Last-Minute Gift? Airport Vending Machines Are Stepping Up Their Games
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Souvenir shopping at the airport can be the pits.
Beyond lame shot glasses, T-shirts, over-priced regional food items and sports-team memorabilia, there’s often not much that’s truly new and gift-worthy in stock.
Or that won’t give you away as a last-minute shopper.
That’s where SouveNEAR’s vending machines really come to the rescue.
Like the Best Buy vending units found now in about 50 airports nationwide, SouveNEAR’s vending machines are open 24/7.
But that’s where the similarity ends.
While Best Buy machines sell standard gear you can find anywhere — but gear the forgetful may need right now — SouveNEAR’s vending machines are stocked with carefully curated gift items made by local artists.
That means you can stock up on unique souvenirs from a trip without letting on that you shopped at the airport.
Until now, SouveNEAR’s art-filled machines could be found at just four airports: Kansas City International Airport (8 locations), Oakland International Airport (3 locations), Newark Liberty International Airport (2 locations) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport ( 4 locations).
But starting Sept. 6, SouveNEAR is expanding its footprint with an around-the-clock automatic art-shop-in-a-box in the Sacramento International Airport (SMF).
In October, there will be a 24/7 SouveNEAR art-vending machine opening in Terminal C at McCarran International Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas.
What’s for sale?
The handmade items range from jewelry, pins and patches to baby clothing, arty T-shirts and handmade candy and cards. Prices range from $4 to about $50.
“In each city, we work with locals connected within the arts community to scout for truly local goods. We visit local craft fairs, markets, etc.,” said Suzanne Southard, SouveNEAR co-founder. “The stock varies and changes depending upon the location. And we use real-time reporting of inventory levels to stock as needed.”
SouveNEAR’s vending machine at the Sacramento airport will reflect the city’s focus on the Farm-to-Table movement and a commitment to all things local, said Betsy Wolf, SouveNEAR’s West Coast manager.
At SMF, look for products such as Brittle California’s almond brittle made with locally grown California almonds and handmade goat’s milk soap made by Sweet Blossom Company with milk from a local goat farm.
In Las Vegas, which has seen a rebirth in the local arts scene, Wolf said SouveNEAR’s products will include items that reflect the city’s quirky, unique culture.
The LAS SouveNEAR machine will include handmade necklaces by Neon Cactus Vintage; dark chocolate bars by Happy Ending Chocolate, hand-decorated with edible gold leaf foil; and iconic Las Vegas-style signs recreated in enamel by Battle Born Pins.
Featured image courtesy of SouveNEAR.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees