You Can Now Download the Same Font Used by the National Parks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now you can show the world just how passionate you are about the country’s national parks with every email you send.
The iconic font carved into wooden signs at national parks across the country has just made its way out of nature and onto your computer screen. Quite simply called the National Park typeface, it was created by designer and professor Jeremy Shellhorn’s Design Outside Studio — a summer design course held in Rocky Mountain National Park.
According to Fast Company, Shellhorn was on a sabbatical from his job at the University of Kansas when he first realized the recognizable font on park signage across the nation had not been digitized. He was working on redesigning Rocky Mountain National Park’s newspaper, and wanted to make use of those unmistakable capital letters. But all of the text was being chiseled into wood boards using a CNC router.
So Shellhorn took his students from the week-and-a-half-long Design Outside Studio and tasked them with creating a digital typeface inspired by the wooden markers. The class used “rubbings” from the signs and developed four variations of the typeface including light, regular, heavy and outline. The typeface was released last summer, and has since been downloaded in every state, as well as countries abroad.
In addition to the font — which, for just a moment, might transport you far away from your desk to your favorite national park — the class has created pop-up art installations at campgrounds around the park and completed other design projects for park rangers.
Design Outside Studio’s next undertaking? Designing dingbats in the same font. In the meantime, you can download the National Park typeface here, for free.
Featured image by Aniket Deole via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees