You can join a murder-mystery party on the original Orient Express train
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
All aboard the Orient Express!
On May 17, the iconic train is hosting a new murder-mystery party on a trip from Paris to Nice. So, pack your favorite magnifying glass, because you can be on it.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Of course, it won’t be your typical train ride to the French Riviera. Expect plenty of 1920s decor and costumes, as well as drinks, high tea and Champagne. Forbes didn’t call it the “world’s most luxurious murder mystery vacation” for nothing.
The trip, organized by luxury travel company Ariodante, is the second of its kind (there was a murder mystery party on Jan. 18). Guests will board the lovingly restored art deco train — now owned by the French National Railway Company and rarely used — and find themselves in seats once occupied by such illustrious travelers as F. Scott Fitzgerald, Coco Chanel and Czar Nicholas II.
This train is not to be confused with the Belmond Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, which is also a meticulously restored luxury train operating the famous route between Paris to Istanbul.
The Orient Express was propelled to popularity by Agatha Christie’s classic 1934 novel “Murder on the Orient Express,” but this party — and train ride — is actually based on Christie’s 1928 novel, “The Mystery of the Blue Train.”
We know, it’s a lot.
Today, Ariodante is encouraging passengers to imagine themselves stepping through the pages of Christie’s timeless detective stories. Only this time, it could be you — not Hercules Poirot — who ends up solving the murder mystery.
Tickets are selling out fast (the January murder mystery part completely sold out) so if you’re interested, we recommend booking as soon as possible. Regular train tickets start at a staggering price of 7,950 pounds sterling ($10,354) each, and include two meals, drinks, a tea service and a live jazz performance on the train.
You could really splurge for a VIP ticket, which will cost you £21,900 pounds sterling ($28,524) for two people. That’s about $14,260 per person. With this selection, your experience will begin the day before the murder mystery in Paris, where you’ll receive an exclusive “VIP Costume Experience.” Here, you’ll be dressed by a renowned French costume designer, although it’s not clear who the designer is. An original car from the 1920s will pick you up and drive you to the train station on May 17.
Of course, we recommend offsetting your cost with a Parisian stay paid for in points before and after your trip.
Be prepared to depart from Gare de Lyon in Paris at 11:30 a.m., and don’t forget to pay for your stay with a card that earns you plenty of bonus points on travel purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured photo by Luis Davilla/Getty Images.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees