Mt. Etna in Sicily Has Erupted — Here’s What You Need to Know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday night, Mount Etna — an active volcano in Sicily — spewed glowing red lava from two fissures, lighting up the night sky. Could the eruptions affect your travel plans?
The highest active volcano in Europe, Mount Etna lies on the eastern part of Sicily, near Catania. According to the Express, it is considered “one of the safest volcanoes in the world” even though small eruptions like this one can occur several times a year. As a hotspot for seismic activity, the area is also prone to earthquakes.
In January, for example, a series of earthquakes caused 100 million Euros of damage in the area surrounding Mt. Etna, and in February, an eruption caused the closure of Catania’s airport. An eruption like the one that just occurred wouldn’t necessarily shut down the airport, but if volcanic ash pollutes the air and diminishes visibility for the pilots, flights could be disrupted or the airport might be forced to close. For now at least, that’s not the case, but if you have plans to travel to Catania, you should monitor the situation.
There are no direct flights to Catania from the US, but major European airlines — including budget airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet — connect it to the rest of Europe. It’s one of two major airports in Sicily. The other is in Palermo, on the northwestern side of the island.
Eugenio Privitera, Director of the Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcani (National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanoes), told the Italian newspaper La Stampa, “We are at the beginning of a new eruptive phase of Etna that could finish soon or continue for months. The phenomenons are all confined to the summit of the volcano and don’t constitute a danger to inhabited places or people, but it’s necessary to control the flow of tourists in the area for their safety.”
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Photo by ALESSIO TRICANI/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees