The Irish Island of Arranmore Wants Americans and Australians to Move There
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all fantasized about it before. You know, ditching the rat race and relocating to a remote, picturesque European island in the middle of nowhere.
Well, it turns out, it might be easier to make like Diane Lane in “Under the Tuscan Sun” than you thought, because Arranmore — a small island off the coast of County Donegal, Ireland — wants you to move there.
Occupancy on the island has been, according to CNN, waning since the 19th century. So, with a current population of 469 residents, Arranmore (or Árainn Mhór in Gaelic) has been writing open letters to the people of the United States and Australia in hopes of bolstering their community.
In the open letters, Arranmore boasts about the many perks that come with living on the island three miles off the coast. While the weather is unmistakably Irish (warm and cold showers; misty with brief spots of sun here and there) they do have towering clifftops, clean, quiet beaches, a community of close-knit people and — here’s the kicker — high-speed internet.
Adrian Begley, of the Arranmore Island Community Council, even told CNN that Arranmore is “the most-connected island in the world,” in an effort to attract remote workers. “Traditional industries such as fishing and farming just aren’t enough of a draw to keep young people here anymore,” reads one of the open letters. “It’s been a challenge for people to work here. Until now.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.