The Irish Island of Arranmore Wants Americans and Australians to Move There
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all fantasized about it before. You know, ditching the rat race and relocating to a remote, picturesque European island in the middle of nowhere.
Well, it turns out, it might be easier to make like Diane Lane in “Under the Tuscan Sun” than you thought, because Arranmore — a small island off the coast of County Donegal, Ireland — wants you to move there.
Occupancy on the island has been, according to CNN, waning since the 19th century. So, with a current population of 469 residents, Arranmore (or Árainn Mhór in Gaelic) has been writing open letters to the people of the United States and Australia in hopes of bolstering their community.
In the open letters, Arranmore boasts about the many perks that come with living on the island three miles off the coast. While the weather is unmistakably Irish (warm and cold showers; misty with brief spots of sun here and there) they do have towering clifftops, clean, quiet beaches, a community of close-knit people and — here’s the kicker — high-speed internet.
Adrian Begley, of the Arranmore Island Community Council, even told CNN that Arranmore is “the most-connected island in the world,” in an effort to attract remote workers. “Traditional industries such as fishing and farming just aren’t enough of a draw to keep young people here anymore,” reads one of the open letters. “It’s been a challenge for people to work here. Until now.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees