More Bomb-Sniffing Dogs at Airports Could Mean Slower TSA PreCheck Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your TSA PreCheck line might be getting a whole lot slower.
Why? Because officials say there are new security procedures being implemented that involve the increased use of explosive detection canines and in some instances, the reconfiguration of the lines at security checkpoints at airports across the country. That could mean more non-PreCheck passengers in the TSA pre-check line.
The new program increases the number of passengers that are screened by the bomb-sniffing dogs. As a result, certain passengers will be eligible for expedited screening through the pre-check line — even if they’re not enrolled in PreCheck.
“As part of TSA’s effort to raise the baseline for aviation security worldwide, we implemented procedures designed to increase our explosive detection capabilities,” a TSA spokesperson said in an emailed statement to TPG. “These new procedures involve the increased use of explosive detection canines and in some instances, the reconfiguration of checkpoint lines. We believe this additional screening measure will enhance security and allow us to stay ahead of evolving threats.”
After a TPG reader reported seeing non-PreCheck passengers in the pre-check line at New York’s JFK Airport, we posted in the TPG Lounge on Facebook to see if other TPG readers had noticed the new security checkpoint line configurations:
TPG reader Kiel S. said: “SFO had that this morning. [PreCheck] still benefited by merging into the normal line closer to the TSA agents but it was still an awkward setup. There was also a dedicated lane for the canine to walk the length of the line.”
TPG reader Steve S. said: “Just happened in LAS on Monday. Canines were around but we were told that ‘every line was TSA [PreCheck]’ was not a great experience when you pay for something and folks who have no clue what the are supposed to do the TSA line.”
TPG reader John H. said he saw the new line procedure at “MCO two different times. Once yes on the canine. The other no, they were using some short of machine that randomly selected people.”
TPG reader Chris D said: “Atlanta. 5:30AM United terminal. Took about 50 people out of the regular TSA line and dropped them in the pre line. It was a disaster of poor organization. No dogs or other extra security.”
The TSA noted that the canines are trained to detect the explosive odor from a distance, so even if passengers do not notice the canines from the pre-check line, that doesn’t mean they aren’t being utilized.
Featured image by Jeff Greenberg/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees