Mob Burns Airplane During Riots in Papua New Guinea
Unrest in Papua New Guinea has resulted in an unusual incident, the burning of an airplane by protesters enraged over an election result. Rioters set an Air Niugini aircraft — a Canadian-made Bombardier Dash 8 regional turboprop — on fire, destroying it and leading to the indefinite closing of the Mendi Airport (MDU) where the incident, reported by aviation site Flight Service Bureau, occurred.
Air Niugini is the flag carrier of the island nation to the east of Indonesia. It flies mostly domestically, but ranges as far as Tokyo, Singapore and Hong Kong. Papua New Guinea is rich in gorgeous natural beauty and cultural attractions, but has been so far off the global tourism map.
In response the election of the new governor of the Southern Highlands province, William Powi, supporters of the opposing candidate reportedly shot the tires of the plane and later torched it. Air Niugini said that the passengers had deplaned before the violent protest, and that no one was hurt.
After the tires were shot, the local police guarded the plane to protect it from further damage. That’s when protestors approached from all angles. Commander Gideon Kauke told Radio New Zealand that some protestors were armed with guns and that police couldn’t stop the mob from burning the aircraft.
According to the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs, people should “exercise a high degree of caution in Papua New Guinea” and should “reconsider [the] need to travel” to certain places in the country.
Featured image courtesy of Flight Service Bureau
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.