Captain Minnie Mouse Hops on Disney Cruise Lines With a New Look
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Disney brand can play a big part in inspiring children when it comes to their future. Now, classic Disney icon Minnie Mouse will be taking on a new role to encourage girls and young women to pursue careers in the cruise industry — and, for the first time ever, it involves a pair of pants.
Minnie Mouse will be serving as Captain Minnie Mouse both on and off Disney Cruise Lines. Besides sporting her new dress-free red and white uniform (she does retain a skirt option), Minnie will be making appearances on each Disney ship to teach girls and young women about careers in the maritime industry, beginning this month.
According to the World Economic Forum, just 2% of seafarers and only about one third of shore-based maritime positions are held by women, making it incredibly important for girls to see themselves in positions that they’re fully capable of landing.
But Minnie Mouse isn’t just creating awareness for these positions. Disney is also offering four scholarships to the LJM Maritime Academy in the Bahamas for girls and young women aspiring to be captains and shipboard leaders. The scholarships include two years of study at the academy and one year of service aboard a Disney ship.
Captain Minnie Mouse will lead a STEM-based (science, technology, engineering and math) maritime-themed activity for youth in Disney’s Oceaneer Lab, where young people can put their skills to the test.
On the shore, Captain Minnie Mouse will make appearances at homeports and ports of call, where she’ll be accompanied by a woman Disney Cruise Line officer or crew member to further the conversation about opportunities for women in the maritime industry.
Minnie’s new look also comes with a brand new line of merchandise, whose tagline is “You Can Call Me Captain.” The line includes inspiring messaging for girls and young women.
For more, read TPG Family Editor Summer Hull’s review of the Disney Cruise Line’s Dream ship.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured imaged by Disney Parks Blog.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees