Amtrak Launches 10% Discount for Veterans and Active Duty Military
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Amtrak just announced a new discount, and this time it’s for veterans of the US armed forces. The 10% discount is available for customers who have served in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard and is available from now through January 2021. And if you’re active duty military, don’t worry. You’re also eligible for the discount.
Here’s what you need to know.
In order to book, you’ll need to provide proof of your active duty or veteran status. The 10% discount will automatically apply to fares when qualifying travel is selected. You can search for discounted tickets on the Amtrak website, and remember to select “Military Veteran” or “Military Active (Adult)” as your traveler type in the drop-down menu.
Note that this offer is only valid for coach and Acela business-class seats (Acela weekday service excluded), and it can’t be used on non-Acela business class, first class or sleeping accommodations. Unfortunately this discount doesn’t work on Amtrak’s “Saver” tickets, meaning veterans won’t be able to save on the train operator’s cheapest tickets. If you see a “Fare Alert” box, it means that fare won’t apply.
What’s great about this offer is that it’s valid across the entire Amtrak network including the Palmetto, Northeast Regional, Auto Train and more.
After you book, don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). In case you didn’t know, the $550 annual fee on the Sapphire Reserve is waived for military personnel. In fact, Chase now waives all account fees (except late and non-sufficient funds fees) and the $75 authorized user fee.
Featured photo courtesy of Amtrak
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.