Amtrak Launches 10% Discount for Veterans and Active Duty Military
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Amtrak just announced a new discount, and this time it’s for veterans of the US armed forces. The 10% discount is available for customers who have served in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard and is available from now through January 2021. And if you’re active duty military, don’t worry. You’re also eligible for the discount.
Here’s what you need to know.
In order to book, you’ll need to provide proof of your active duty or veteran status. The 10% discount will automatically apply to fares when qualifying travel is selected. You can search for discounted tickets on the Amtrak website, and remember to select “Military Veteran” or “Military Active (Adult)” as your traveler type in the drop-down menu.
Note that this offer is only valid for coach and Acela business-class seats (Acela weekday service excluded), and it can’t be used on non-Acela business class, first class or sleeping accommodations. Unfortunately this discount doesn’t work on Amtrak’s “Saver” tickets, meaning veterans won’t be able to save on the train operator’s cheapest tickets. If you see a “Fare Alert” box, it means that fare won’t apply.
What’s great about this offer is that it’s valid across the entire Amtrak network including the Palmetto, Northeast Regional, Auto Train and more.
After you book, don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). In case you didn’t know, the $550 annual fee on the Sapphire Reserve is waived for military personnel. In fact, Chase now waives all account fees (except late and non-sufficient funds fees) and the $75 authorized user fee.
Featured photo courtesy of Amtrak
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.