Miami gives back: Front-line and health care workers get free salad, coffee and discounted hotel rooms
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The coronavirus pandemic has impacted every corner of the globe, with many nations on complete lockdown in an effort to contain or eliminate the spread of the contagious disease. During these difficult times, a number of organizations and individuals have stepped up to support front-line and health care workers as they save lives across the country. In some cases, entire cities have joined forces toward this goal.
Florida has been one of the states hit the hardest by the coronavirus, and local hospital workers, medical professionals, firefighters, paramedics, law enforcement officers and National Guard members have been working hard around the clock to serve their communities.
In Miami, these front-line workers are enjoying free pizza, donuts and coffee as well as deeply discounted meals and wireless services from Miami hotels, restaurants and retailers. The initiative, called Miami Salutes, is helmed by the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau (GMCVB), which compiles and maintains a comprehensive list of special offers on the GMCVB’s website.
Businesses participating in Miami Salutes include national brands such as Krispy Kreme, Starbucks and Crocs as well as local names such as Bulla Gastrobar, Divino Ceviche and Pollo Tropical. A Google Sheets spreadsheet lists more than 120 hotels in the greater Miami area which are offering deeply discounted nightly rates for medical professionals who need safe places to stay. Crocs is offering a free pair of shoes for any healthcare professional who requests them.
Front-line and first responders are encouraged to bring a valid ID to any of the dozens of Miami Salutes participating locations to score everything from free glazed donuts to up to 50% off on take-out and delivery orders. Sweetgreen is delivering free salads to local hospitals for their workers.
“Our front-line and first responders are working tirelessly to help and protect all of us, and their efforts are likely to escalate in the coming days and weeks,” said GMCVB President and CEO William D. Talbert, III. “We are proud to bring together Greater Miami’s hospitality industry to support these public servants and show our appreciation in any way possible.”
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees