Measles Exposure Reported at Chicago Midway Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were traveling through Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) last Friday, Feb. 22, you might have been exposed to the measles. According to CNN, an infected passenger was on a flight that arrived at Concourse B that evening. The health department has warned that people traveling through the airport between 9pm and midnight might have been exposed.
It’s the latest in a rash of measles cases, which have also popped up at Portland International Airport (PDX) in Oregon and at New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) recently. Though the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine is 97% effective, the virus is extremely contagious and can lead to serious complications, including pneumonia, encephalitis (swelling of the brain) and death. According to the CDC, the virus can live for up to two hours in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed. The CDC also says, “Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.”
It can take seven to 14 days for symptoms — which include a high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes — to appear. Tiny white spots known as Koplik spots may appear inside the mouth. The telltale sign of the measles is a rash of red, blotchy spots that blend together and spread from the face down to the neck, trunk, arms, legs and feet.
If you think you’ve been exposed to the measles and are experiencing these symptoms, call a medical professional before showing up at the doctor’s office or hospital, so they can prepare and make sure other patients and health care professionals won’t be exposed.
Take precautions if you’re traveling to developing countries, especially with children in tow, and make sure you and your kids have been vaccinated. UNICEF warned that “global cases of measles are surging to alarmingly high levels, led by ten countries accounting for more than 74 per cent of the total increase, and several others that had previously been declared measles free.”
Ukraine saw the highest increase in measles cases between 2017 and 2018, followed by the Philippines, Brazil, Yemen, Venezuela, Serbia, Madagascar, Sudan, Thailand and France. If you’ve got a trip planned to any of these countries and are not sure if you’ve had the MMR vaccine, the CDC has a few tips for locating your vaccination records.
Featured photo by Ronaldo Schemidt/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees