McEmbassy: McDonald’s Now Operating as ‘Mini US Embassies’ for Tourists in Austria
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what might be one of the most stereotypically American things to ever happen — all McDonald’s in Austria will now operate as not only fast food restaurants, but mini US Embassies for tourists.
The new set-up was announced via the US Embassy Vienna’s Facebook. It read: “American citizens traveling in Austria who find themselves in distress and without a way to contact the U.S. Embassy can enter – as of Wednesday, May 15, 2019 – any McDonald’s in Austria, and staff will assist them in making contact with the U.S. Embassy for consular services (e.g. report a lost or stolen passport, or seek travel assistance).”
The post also featured a photo of Trevor Traina, the United States Ambassador to Austria, and Isabelle Kuster, the managing director of McDonald’s Austria, shaking hands over the signed agreement and, of course, a McCafe.
McDonald’s spokesperson Wilhelm Baldia said to the Independent UK that the Consulate chose the ubiquitous fast-food chain because of the “brand’s great fame among Americans.” Predictably, people on social media were not exactly lovin’ it:
Or, at least, were able to see some humor in the situation:
Insulted? Well, think of it this way — with 179 locations, not including the 143 McCafé outlets, spread throughout Austria, the McEmbassy (that’s what we’re calling it now, sorry, I don’t make the rules) might be helpful to US tourists in need of help. Although not able to issue passports, Baldia confirmed that each restaurant will have staff trained to help US citizens contact the embassy around the clock.
Featured image by Jan Woitas/picture alliance via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.