McEmbassy: McDonald’s Now Operating as ‘Mini US Embassies’ for Tourists in Austria
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what might be one of the most stereotypically American things to ever happen — all McDonald’s in Austria will now operate as not only fast food restaurants, but mini US Embassies for tourists.
The new set-up was announced via the US Embassy Vienna’s Facebook. It read: “American citizens traveling in Austria who find themselves in distress and without a way to contact the U.S. Embassy can enter – as of Wednesday, May 15, 2019 – any McDonald’s in Austria, and staff will assist them in making contact with the U.S. Embassy for consular services (e.g. report a lost or stolen passport, or seek travel assistance).”
The post also featured a photo of Trevor Traina, the United States Ambassador to Austria, and Isabelle Kuster, the managing director of McDonald’s Austria, shaking hands over the signed agreement and, of course, a McCafe.
McDonald’s spokesperson Wilhelm Baldia said to the Independent UK that the Consulate chose the ubiquitous fast-food chain because of the “brand’s great fame among Americans.” Predictably, people on social media were not exactly lovin’ it:
Or, at least, were able to see some humor in the situation:
Insulted? Well, think of it this way — with 179 locations, not including the 143 McCafé outlets, spread throughout Austria, the McEmbassy (that’s what we’re calling it now, sorry, I don’t make the rules) might be helpful to US tourists in need of help. Although not able to issue passports, Baldia confirmed that each restaurant will have staff trained to help US citizens contact the embassy around the clock.
Featured image by Jan Woitas/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.