McEmbassy: McDonald’s Now Operating as ‘Mini US Embassies’ for Tourists in Austria
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what might be one of the most stereotypically American things to ever happen — all McDonald’s in Austria will now operate as not only fast food restaurants, but mini US Embassies for tourists.
The new set-up was announced via the US Embassy Vienna’s Facebook. It read: “American citizens traveling in Austria who find themselves in distress and without a way to contact the U.S. Embassy can enter – as of Wednesday, May 15, 2019 – any McDonald’s in Austria, and staff will assist them in making contact with the U.S. Embassy for consular services (e.g. report a lost or stolen passport, or seek travel assistance).”
The post also featured a photo of Trevor Traina, the United States Ambassador to Austria, and Isabelle Kuster, the managing director of McDonald’s Austria, shaking hands over the signed agreement and, of course, a McCafe.
McDonald’s spokesperson Wilhelm Baldia said to the Independent UK that the Consulate chose the ubiquitous fast-food chain because of the “brand’s great fame among Americans.” Predictably, people on social media were not exactly lovin’ it:
Or, at least, were able to see some humor in the situation:
Insulted? Well, think of it this way — with 179 locations, not including the 143 McCafé outlets, spread throughout Austria, the McEmbassy (that’s what we’re calling it now, sorry, I don’t make the rules) might be helpful to US tourists in need of help. Although not able to issue passports, Baldia confirmed that each restaurant will have staff trained to help US citizens contact the embassy around the clock.
Featured image by Jan Woitas/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees