Mastercard Has Created a Real-Life Store, Online
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Is retail dying or is it just being reinvented? Payment processor Mastercard has launched an interesting new way to shop this holiday season.
Partnering with Next Retail Concepts, consumers will now be able to shop at select virtual stores. This isn’t your typical e-commerce experience, but it’s an actual 3D rendering of the inside of a store — mimicking the in-person shopping experience.
To launch the program, Mastercard teamed up with lifestyle publication Refinery 29 and retailer Fred Segal for a virtual recreation of Segal’s flagship Los Angeles store. You can browse the shop almost as if you were there, clicking on items for more details and then add them to your cart. Refinery 29 and Fred Segal put together an exclusive list of holiday gifts that’s only available in the special shop.
The store definitely isn’t life-changing, but it does make the shopping experience feel a bit more authentic and not like your mindlessly scrolling through hundreds of items. The curation in-store is completely different than what you’d find on a retailer’s typical online shop, although you still won’t be able to try on the items or speak with a real person.
As a promotion, Mastercard is offering a $30 statement credit after spending $200 through the special collection, which is collected at the point of purchase. According to the terms and conditions, it appears that any Mastercard will trigger the discount.
Credit cards from TPG’s list of the best Mastercards will work, including the Citi Premier® Card or Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card, which should both be eligible for savings. You can check out the virtual store here. The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Attendees of Refinery 29’s 29Rooms experience in Los Angeles will also get a chance to test out the virtual store. The popular experiential exhibit will be open at The Reef from Dec. 5 – 9. Those with Mastercards can receive exclusive perks at the event that includes access to presales and a chance to skip the line.
Featured image courtesy of Mastercard / Next Retail Concepts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.