Mastercard Has Created a Real-Life Store, Online
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Is retail dying or is it just being reinvented? Payment processor Mastercard has launched an interesting new way to shop this holiday season.
Partnering with Next Retail Concepts, consumers will now be able to shop at select virtual stores. This isn’t your typical e-commerce experience, but it’s an actual 3D rendering of the inside of a store — mimicking the in-person shopping experience.
To launch the program, Mastercard teamed up with lifestyle publication Refinery 29 and retailer Fred Segal for a virtual recreation of Segal’s flagship Los Angeles store. You can browse the shop almost as if you were there, clicking on items for more details and then add them to your cart. Refinery 29 and Fred Segal put together an exclusive list of holiday gifts that’s only available in the special shop.
The store definitely isn’t life-changing, but it does make the shopping experience feel a bit more authentic and not like your mindlessly scrolling through hundreds of items. The curation in-store is completely different than what you’d find on a retailer’s typical online shop, although you still won’t be able to try on the items or speak with a real person.
As a promotion, Mastercard is offering a $30 statement credit after spending $200 through the special collection, which is collected at the point of purchase. According to the terms and conditions, it appears that any Mastercard will trigger the discount.
Credit cards from TPG’s list of the best Mastercards will work, including the Citi Premier® Card or Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card, which should both be eligible for savings. You can check out the virtual store here. The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Attendees of Refinery 29’s 29Rooms experience in Los Angeles will also get a chance to test out the virtual store. The popular experiential exhibit will be open at The Reef from Dec. 5 – 9. Those with Mastercards can receive exclusive perks at the event that includes access to presales and a chance to skip the line.
Featured image courtesy of Mastercard / Next Retail Concepts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees