Marriott Adds Points Advance Restrictions, Delays SPG Expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in April, Marriott detailed its new combined loyalty program, which came along with a slew of changes when it launched this weekend. One much-welcome change, as confirmed by Marriott at the time, would be an expansion of Points Advance to SPG properties. Sadly that addition is still to come.
As outlined in Marriott’s updated Terms & Conditions document, Points Advance allows you to reserve a room even if you don’t have the required number of points in your account:
“Members who seek to make an Award Redemption with an insufficient Point balance may make the Award Redemption and either (1) purchase Points (as described in Section 2.9) to make a valid Award Redemption, provided that the aggregate amount of Points purchased and/or received as a gift by the Member is less than or equivalent to 50,000 Points per calendar year; or (2) the Member accrues sufficient Points to use Points for payment of the Award Redemption no less than fourteen (14) days prior to Member’s arrival date.”
That 14-day requirement was expected, up from the previous 10-day requirement, however the policy goes on to state:
“If a purchase of Points is not an option, or if a Member does not have sufficient Points to pay for an Award Redemption with Points fourteen (14) days or less from Member’s arrival date, Member will forfeit any Award Redemption. The Award Redemption may be canceled by the Loyalty Program or the Participating Property without prior notice. The Member must re-book the reservation at the best available rate for which the Member qualifies.”
One big concern is stated here: “The Award Redemption may be canceled by the Loyalty Program or the Participating Property without prior notice.” That conflicts with what a Marriott spokesperson provided just a few days ago, stating: “A representative will call a certain days in advance, if the points aren’t in the account, to discuss other payment options.” I’m hopeful that a Marriott rep will indeed attempt a call before canceling a booking, though that clearly is not a guarantee.
Perhaps more alarming is the list of brands that are not “currently” participating in Points Advance, such as St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W, Sheraton, Le Meridien, Westin, Design Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Four Points, Aloft and Element. That’s the full Starwood portfolio — exactly the hotels we were expecting to be added on August 18.
According to a Marriott spokesperson, however, Points Advance will become available for former Starwood properties starting in the fall. We don’t have the exact details on timing, but at least we know that it will eventually become available for all the brands in the SPG portfolio. For now, though, you’ll need to have the points in your account before you make an award booking with any former SPG hotel.
Photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees