Marriott now enforcing limit on Points Advance reservations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When Marriott announced changes to its Bonvoy loyalty program, which kicked in on Sept. 14, 2019, the chain explained that its new limit on Points Advance reservations was more of a polite suggestion, leading us to explain that “Marriott is requesting that members limit themselves to three active Points Advance reservations at a time.”
Now, it turns out that the new limit wasn’t a suggestion at all — the loyalty program terms and conditions now state “A maximum of three (3) Points Advance bookings are permitted to be maintained per Membership Account at any one time.” And, now, Marriott has begun identifying members with more than three Points Advance reservations (or more than five booked before Sept. 14), and informing them that they have 48 hours to confirm, change or cancel their reservation.
Over the past few days, a number of TPG readers have reported receiving the below email:
It has come to our attention you currently have more active Points Advance reservations than the policy allows. The Points Advance policy states a member can have no more than three Points Advance reservations on file.
Please use one of the four options below to either convert or cancel the excessive reservations:
- Cancel the reservation
- Modify to a paid reservation
- Purchase points for the certificate to be issued
- Free Night certificate on account can be attached (if point value allows)
Please make the necessary changes within 48 hours by going online, or by contacting your local Customer Engagement Center.
A spokesman confirmed that the following will trigger the above email:
- Six or more Points Advance reservations made by Sept. 13
- Four or more Points Advance reservations made after Sept. 13
Ultimately, Points Advance isn’t nearly as valuable as it once was — as of Sept. 14, new reservations simply lock in availability, not the rate you see at booking. Instead, if peak pricing applies on your requested dates when you go to finalize your booking — once you have the required number of points in your account — you’ll need to confirm a Points Advance stay at the new, higher rate. Now, new bookings will be subjected to this reservation cap as well.
Featured photo of the St. Regis Bora Bora by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.