Marriott’s new CEO takes a stand against racism in first public comments
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One week into his new job as chief executive officer of Marriott International, Anthony “Tony” Capuano issued his first public comments in a statement entitled “Stop Asian Hate.”
Mr. Capuano’s statement comes during a turbulent period for the United States, which has seen a rise in violent attacks against Asian-American people for no reason other than their race.
As reported by The New York Times, a 36-year-old man of Asian descenft was stabbed in Manhattan and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. Elsewhere in New York, a man lobbed items at a mother and then violently threw her to the ground.
Mr. Capuano also refers to examples of community volunteers accompanying elderly Asian-Americans on errands in their neighborhoods due to fear of being targeted and even murders of those in the Asian-American community.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
As CEO of the world’s largest hotel chain, Capuano has chosen (rightly) to forcefully rebuke these inexcusable acts of injustice and has signaled to the world that Marriott stands firmly behind the Asian-American community — and other marginalized communities throughout the world.
“I want to reiterate that Marriott International stands against racism. We believe that all people deserve to be treated with dignity and respected for their humanity and the distinct qualities that make them unique,” said Capuano.
He goes on to list initiatives that Marriott is involved in to combat racism and bigotry throughout the country and world, saying, “As the United States faces this latest racism crisis, we are redoubling our ‘welcome all’ efforts – making sure our associates remember what it is we stand for and offering resources to them to make sure they are doing their part. We are also working with our long-time partner, the Asia Society, a leading educational advocacy and cultural understanding organization for Asian Americans, to support their efforts to build solidarity and rise up against hate. We will continue our efforts to advance hotel ownership among Asian American owners.”
You can read Capuano’s statement in full here.
In a time in which minority and marginalized communities are facing bigotry and violent attacks, it’s heartening to see the new CEO of the world’s largest hotel chain wield his platform to take a stand against these injustices and push his company to always strive to do what is right and just.
Featured photo by JHVEPhoto/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees