Mandarin Oriental Leaves Vegas, Waldorf Astoria Takes Over
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting this September, you’ll no longer be able to stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas.
The iconic hotel received a notice terminating its management agreement this past week, following the property’s sale to an undisclosed buyer for $214 million. Vital Vegas suggests that the buyer may be California-based investor Man Ho “Ronnie” Lam, owner of the Hilton Lake Las Vegas.
The 392-room Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas opened in December 2009, and is one of only 13 properties around the world to hold the Triple Forbes Five Star Award: three five-star ratings for the hotel, the spa and the hotel’s signature restaurant – an award the Mandarin Oriental has held for seven consecutive years.
Instead, Waldorf Astoria will take over management of the property, beginning in late summer 2018. After a $50 million renovation, the Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas will be one of two non-gaming properties at the CityCenter, although the hotel is adjacent to Aria and its affiliated casino. (Vdara is the other CityCenter hotel without a casino.)
Waldorf Astoria is part of the Hilton brand, and therefore, Hilton Honors points will most likely apply to stays at its new management property in Sin City. TPG reached out to Hilton for confirmation on this but did not hear back by time of publication.
Not all patrons are excited about the management change:
This will be the Waldorf Astoria’s first foray into the Strip and part of the hotel chain’s planned expansion into the western US. Waldorf Astoria opened a Beverly Hills location in 2017, and it has planned another development in San Francisco to launch sometime within the next three years.
Featured image courtesy of The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees