Man on United Flight Defends Passenger Who Was Body-Shamed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger on a United Airlines flight found an unlikely hero after the man seated next to her on the aircraft body-shamed her.
Savannah Phillips was left devastated when on a flight from Oklahoma to Chicago on Tuesday, she noticed the passenger sitting next to her referred to her as a “a smelly fatty” in a text message.
Phillips shared her encounter in a Facebook post about the male passenger, who she said appeared to be around 60 years old.
“His phone was maybe 12 inches (30cm) from my face and he proceeded to text someone that he was sitting next to ‘a smelly fatty’,” she wrote. Philips says she normally tries to sit in a row by herself on planes because of her size. “I was shocked and it was like confirmation of the negative things I think about myself on a daily basis. Before I knew it, I could feel hot, salty tears coming down my face. I sat and cried silently … I was so hurt,” Phillips wrote.
Just when she thought she would have to spend the whole flight crying next to the man who body-shamed her, someone from the row behind her tapped him on the shoulder.
“Hey- I need to talk to you,” the man behind her told her seat-mate, according to Phillips’ Facebook post. “We are switching seats. Now.” The passenger behind Phillips, identified as Chase Irwin, saw the text message himself and told the man that he wasn’t “putting up with that.” He notified a flight attendant that he was switching seats with the man.
Chase told News News Channel 5 he just had to do something about the situation. After switching with the man, Irwin gave Savannah a few words of encouragement following the incident.
Phillips says what Irwin did “meant the world” to her.
Photo by Gary Hershorn/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.