Fire Destroys Villas at Top-Rated Maldives Property
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A fire broke out at one of the Maldive’s top rated hotels this past Wednesday. The Telegraph is reporting that a fire destroyed seven luxury villas at Gili Lankanfushi Resort. Gili Lankanfushi is a popular resort located on the North Male Atoll. The resort features just 45 overwater villas and is currently ranked as the top hotel in all of the Maldives, according to Trip Advisor. The Gili Lankanfushi overwater villas start at $3800 USD per night, while some villas cost more than $5,000 USD per night. The fire has forced the resort to close and all guests to relocate to other hotels and resorts.
No one was injured when the fire hit the island resort on Wednesday night. However, guests were sent fleeing the 45 overwater villas as the fire tore through the wooden walkways and luxury accommodations. The fire was fueled by unusually strong winds. The strong winds also helped the fire to jump from the overwater villas onto the island, destroying a restaurant at the resort.
The fire took firefighters more than six hours to extinguish, partly due to the strong winds. While the fire was extinguished and no one was injured, the resort has confirmed that it will remain closed for the foreseeable future. The resort is contacting guests with future reservations to assist in finding alternate accommodations. The resort has also confirmed that it is assisting guests who were on the property at the time of the fire in finding alternate accommodations for the remainder of their stay.
The cause of the fire is not yet known. The Maldives National Defence Force stated that it has dispatched a team to investigate. Gili Lankanfushi management has provided a full press statement regarding the fire. The hotel hopes to open sometime later this year.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image by joningall/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.