Fire Destroys Villas at Top-Rated Maldives Property
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A fire broke out at one of the Maldive’s top rated hotels this past Wednesday. The Telegraph is reporting that a fire destroyed seven luxury villas at Gili Lankanfushi Resort. Gili Lankanfushi is a popular resort located on the North Male Atoll. The resort features just 45 overwater villas and is currently ranked as the top hotel in all of the Maldives, according to Trip Advisor. The Gili Lankanfushi overwater villas start at $3800 USD per night, while some villas cost more than $5,000 USD per night. The fire has forced the resort to close and all guests to relocate to other hotels and resorts.
No one was injured when the fire hit the island resort on Wednesday night. However, guests were sent fleeing the 45 overwater villas as the fire tore through the wooden walkways and luxury accommodations. The fire was fueled by unusually strong winds. The strong winds also helped the fire to jump from the overwater villas onto the island, destroying a restaurant at the resort.
The fire took firefighters more than six hours to extinguish, partly due to the strong winds. While the fire was extinguished and no one was injured, the resort has confirmed that it will remain closed for the foreseeable future. The resort is contacting guests with future reservations to assist in finding alternate accommodations. The resort has also confirmed that it is assisting guests who were on the property at the time of the fire in finding alternate accommodations for the remainder of their stay.
The cause of the fire is not yet known. The Maldives National Defence Force stated that it has dispatched a team to investigate. Gili Lankanfushi management has provided a full press statement regarding the fire. The hotel hopes to open sometime later this year.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image by joningall/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees