Travelers will soon have to pay a new departure tax to leave the Maldives
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning a trip to the Maldives next year, prepare for some added costs. Beginning January 1, 2022, just in time for the country to celebrate its 50th year of tourism, travelers will have to pay a fee to leave the archipelago by air after a new departure tax was approved.
On July 11, the country’s president, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, signed off on an amendment to the nation’s Airport Taxes and Fees Act. Currently, that act charges a $25 airport service charge for airline customers departing the Maldives. The new departure tax, which must be paid in U.S. dollars, will replace that next year.
Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Although everyone (including locals) departing from any of the country’s airports must pay the tax, residents will pay less than travelers who are just visiting. People booked in economy seats will also pay less than those in business and first classes, as well as those booked on private charter flights.
According to Maldivian news outlet raajje, here’s what each person can expect to pay in departure taxes from January 1, 2022, on:
- Economy: $12 (Maldivians) or $30 (foreign travelers)
- Business: $60 (everyone)
- First: $90 (everyone)
- Charters: $120 (everyone)
The tax will be waived for diplomats and children younger than 2.
Additionally, all passengers flying internationally from Velana International Airport (MLE), the Maldives’ main airport, will be subject to an airport development fee of $25 (this is different from the airport service charge mentioned above). That means most travelers can expect to pay anywhere from $12 (if they’re locals flying economy from an airport other than MLE) to $145 (if they’re flying from MLE on charters).
The terms of the amendment require that passengers pay the money in USD — which are easy to obtain in the Maldives if you haven’t brought any with you — to their airline. The airline will hand the money over to the airport, which is then responsible for paying the taxes to the government.
Featured photo courtesy of Radisson Blu Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees