Man Crashes Car Through Glass Door, Drives on Runway at Lyon Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was arrested at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport (LYS) on Monday after crashing a through a security barrier, through two glass doors of the terminal and driving on to the runway.
According to airport officials, the man drove the opposite direction down a nearby highway before crashing through a barrier at the airport. He then drove the car through two glass doors of Terminal 1 at the French airport, before driving on to the runway.
Video captured at the scene appears to show the car drive around the airport, being pursued by airport officials. Once surrounded, the man reportedly took off on foot before eventually being arrested,
Christelle Monteagudo, a local government press officer, said that the man’s motives are not yet clear and that nothing is being ruled out.
According to The Local, there were no injuries reported at the scene.
Operations at the airport have been halted. Several flights that were en route to LYS were diverted to nearby airports as a result of the incident. Eurocontrol said that the runway will be unavailable for departures or arrivals until 4:00pm UTC (6:00pm local time), “due to incident on the airfield.”
The most frequent diversion airports include Geneva (GVA), Grenoble (GNB), Marseille (MRS) and Nice (NCE). The Independent reports that at 1:30pm local time, Geneva Airport said that it was unable to accept additional diversions.
Featured image by Jean Decotte / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees