This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was arrested at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport (LYS) on Monday after crashing a through a security barrier, through two glass doors of the terminal and driving on to the runway.
According to airport officials, the man drove the opposite direction down a nearby highway before crashing through a barrier at the airport. He then drove the car through two glass doors of Terminal 1 at the French airport, before driving on to the runway.
Video captured at the scene appears to show the car drive around the airport, being pursued by airport officials. Once surrounded, the man reportedly took off on foot before eventually being arrested,
Christelle Monteagudo, a local government press officer, said that the man’s motives are not yet clear and that nothing is being ruled out.
According to The Local, there were no injuries reported at the scene.
Operations at the airport have been halted. Several flights that were en route to LYS were diverted to nearby airports as a result of the incident. Eurocontrol said that the runway will be unavailable for departures or arrivals until 4:00pm UTC (6:00pm local time), “due to incident on the airfield.”
The most frequent diversion airports include Geneva (GVA), Grenoble (GNB), Marseille (MRS) and Nice (NCE). The Independent reports that at 1:30pm local time, Geneva Airport said that it was unable to accept additional diversions.
Featured image by Jean Decotte / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees