This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was arrested at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport (LYS) on Monday after crashing a through a security barrier, through two glass doors of the terminal and driving on to the runway.
According to airport officials, the man drove the opposite direction down a nearby highway before crashing through a barrier at the airport. He then drove the car through two glass doors of Terminal 1 at the French airport, before driving on to the runway.
Video captured at the scene appears to show the car drive around the airport, being pursued by airport officials. Once surrounded, the man reportedly took off on foot before eventually being arrested,
Christelle Monteagudo, a local government press officer, said that the man’s motives are not yet clear and that nothing is being ruled out.
According to The Local, there were no injuries reported at the scene.
Operations at the airport have been halted. Several flights that were en route to LYS were diverted to nearby airports as a result of the incident. Eurocontrol said that the runway will be unavailable for departures or arrivals until 4:00pm UTC (6:00pm local time), “due to incident on the airfield.”
The most frequent diversion airports include Geneva (GVA), Grenoble (GNB), Marseille (MRS) and Nice (NCE). The Independent reports that at 1:30pm local time, Geneva Airport said that it was unable to accept additional diversions.
Featured image by Jean Decotte / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees