Man Crashes Car Through Glass Door, Drives on Runway at Lyon Airport
A man was arrested at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport (LYS) on Monday after crashing a through a security barrier, through two glass doors of the terminal and driving on to the runway.
According to airport officials, the man drove the opposite direction down a nearby highway before crashing through a barrier at the airport. He then drove the car through two glass doors of Terminal 1 at the French airport, before driving on to the runway.
Video captured at the scene appears to show the car drive around the airport, being pursued by airport officials. Once surrounded, the man reportedly took off on foot before eventually being arrested,
Christelle Monteagudo, a local government press officer, said that the man’s motives are not yet clear and that nothing is being ruled out.
According to The Local, there were no injuries reported at the scene.
Operations at the airport have been halted. Several flights that were en route to LYS were diverted to nearby airports as a result of the incident. Eurocontrol said that the runway will be unavailable for departures or arrivals until 4:00pm UTC (6:00pm local time), “due to incident on the airfield.”
The most frequent diversion airports include Geneva (GVA), Grenoble (GNB), Marseille (MRS) and Nice (NCE). The Independent reports that at 1:30pm local time, Geneva Airport said that it was unable to accept additional diversions.
Featured image by Jean Decotte / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.