Quick Points: Triple stack these offers to maximize your next Lyft ride
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How many times have you landed at an airport and checked rideshare fares to get to your destination on both Lyft and Uber? If you’re like me, you check both and order a car on whichever platform is cheaper. Although that system can work well, your potential rewards earnings on the two platforms are far from identical.
Frankly, the little you can earn on Uber is no match for the ability to triple stack on Lyft You can earn bonus credit card points, airline miles or hotel points and even cash back on your Lyft rides. You just need to know where to look.
What is this magic Lyft trifecta, and how do you start maximizing your Lyft rides? Let’s take a closer look.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Chase Ultimate Rewards: 10 points — 20 cents per dollar back
Chase recently extended its partnership with Lyft, so Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders will continue to enjoy 10 points per dollar on all Lyft rides. TPG values each Chase Ultimate Reward point at 2 cents, so at 10 points per dollar, you’re getting 20% back on your Lyft rides in Ultimate Rewards points by using the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.
If you don’t have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you can earn 5 points per dollar rate on Lyft rides (or a 10% return based on TPG’s valuations) using any of these cards:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
- Chase Freedom Card (no longer available to new applicants).
- Chase Freedom Unlimited Card.
- Chase Freedom Flex.
- Chase Freedom Student credit card.
- All Ink business card members — such as the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card, Ink Business Cash Credit Card and the Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card).
To earn either 10 or 5 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar, simply add your Chase card to the “payment” section of the Lyft app.
Dosh: 2% on rides up to $30, 5% on rides $31+ and 7% on $51+ rides— 7 cents per dollar back
By linking your desired card to the Dosh app, you’ll start earning automatic cash back when you use your card at participating merchants. The amount you’ll earn depends on the merchant you’re shopping with, and you can cash out your rewards through PayPal or Venmo when you have at least $25 in your account. Cash back is earned in addition to your credit card rewards.
In the case of Lyft, Dosh will reward you 2% on rides under $30, 5% on rides over $31 and 7% on rides over $51.
Delta: Up to 2 SkyMiles per dollar— 2.82 cents per dollar back
On airport rides, you can earn 2 Delta SkyMiles per dollar spent on Lyft (worth 2.82 cents), while on non-airport rides, you can earn 1 Delta SkyMile per dollar spent on Lyft (worth 1.41 cents). Earnings are calculated before taxes and fees on your ride.
Historically, you could earn both Delta SkyMiles and Hilton Honors points on Lyft rides; however, Lyft now requires you to select one or the other. If you select Hilton, you can earn 3 Hilton Honors points per dollar spent on all Lyft rides (worth 1.8 cents).
If your goal is to earn as many points as possible at the highest rate, you should credit your airport rides to Delta SkyMiles and your non-airport rides to Hilton Honors. However, you’d need to manually switch your rewards partner before each trip.
To add your Delta SkyMiles or Hilton Honors membership number to Lyft and start earning points, go to the “rewards” section of the Lyft app.
The ability to triple stack offers on Lyft means that you can save 20% to 30% on Lyft rides when you factor in the value of your earnings. Much of this depends on how much you value your Ultimate Rewards, Delta SkyMiles and Hilton Honors points. Regardless, the opportunity to earn cash back on Dosh alone is highly appealing.
Feature photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees