This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lyft is expanding its service of offering free rides to cancer patients.
As part of Lyft’s existing partnership with the American Cancer Society (ACS), the company and charity are growing the Road to Recovery program that provides complimentary rides to cancer patients headed to and from their treatments. The ride-hailing company launched a test of the program in Miami last fall, and it’s proven to be successful.
The program’s now available in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Denver, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia St. Louis and possibly other cities. You can call 1-800-227-2345 or visit www.cancer.org to see if your in an eligible area and to coordinate a ride. The ACS will then book a ride through Lyft’s concierge service.
It’s recommended to call the ACS a few days before your appointment to make sure you can get a ride for the best time that works for you.
Lyft also offers free rides to those with Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in transportation deserts. Uber has a similar program, Uber Health, that ferries patients to their medical appointments.
For those who’d like to volunteer to give cancer patients free rides (you don’t have to be a Lyft driver to volunteer), you can visit the Road to Recovery website.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees