Lyft Now Shows Public Transit in Its App, Even If It’s Faster and Cheaper
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ridesharing is quickly becoming a part of our daily lives — and that’s exactly the way Uber and Lyft want it to be.
On Wednesday, Lyft added the ability to see public transit in its app as it becomes more synonymous with mass transit.
The program, dubbed “Nearby Transit,” will begin to show public transit options to Lyft passengers in Santa Monica, California. Powered by transit information platform Trafi, the Lyft app will display routes and schedules for the Big Blue Bus, LA Metro and Metrolink. Lyft says it has plans to expand the program to other cities.
Last week, the company launched Lyft Scooters in Santa Monica, adding just one more option for customers to get around. Ridesharing companies are trying to diversify outside of cars and offer more choices to customers, including dockless scooters and e-bikes.
In some cases, taking the bus or subway will be faster (and likely cheaper) than ordering a car, and Lyft’s app will show you that. While it may seem that Lyft is displaying options for what’s essentially its competition, the company hopes riders will use Lyft for the “first or last mile” of their trip when connecting to public transit.
“According to our Economic Impact Report, 21% of Lyft passengers already use public transit more frequently because they can rely on Lyft to get them the first or last mile when their starting point or destination isn’t directly along a transit route,” Lyft wrote in a blog post. “We consistently strive to increase that percentage.”
In April, Uber said it would integrate public transit options into its app and even wants users to be able to purchase tickets for government-funded transport. Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi has stated that he wants the rideshare giant to “run the bus systems for a city,” and some towns have even started subsidizing Uber rides as replacement for public transit.
Featured image by ANGELA WEISS/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees