Lufthansa’s New Short-Haul Economy Seats Offer Increased Recline and USB Power Ports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Intra-European economy class is not known for comfort or premium service. Rather, it is an accepted reality amongst frequent flyers that economy class cabins aboard narrowbody aircraft operated by European carriers are cramped, bland, and devoid of (most) passenger-centric amenities. Germany’s largest carrier, Lufthansa, is no exception, offering thin seats with little recline on the airline’s narrowbody fleet. However, the airline is in the process of making minor improvements to economy class aboard its fleet of Airbus narrowbodies.
Lufthansa recently took delivery of its first Airbus A321neo, with the aircraft boasting registration D-AIEA becoming the first in Lufthansa’s fleet to feature an enhanced economy class cabin.
Lufthansa’s Airbus A321neo features 32 seats in business class and 167 seats in economy. Though business class continues to consist of standard economy class seating arrangement with a blocked middle seat, those economy class seats have been upgraded to provide passengers with added comfort and amenities.
Economy class seats aboard Lufthansa’s Airbus A321neos are engineered by Geven, with each Essenza seat appearing to feature additional cushioning. All seats aboard its A321neo also feature USB power outlets, as well as increased recline and additional personal space as a result of the slimline design.
According to Lufthansa, “Many customer feedbacks have been incorporated into the design of the seat. We received a lot of positive feedback on the new features. We are therefore convinced that the new seat and the modern ambiance of the cabin will further improve the travel comfort of our guests.”
In addition to ushering in a more passenger-centric cabin, Lufthansa’s Airbus A321neo is the first aircraft to feature Lufthansa Group’s standardized Airbus cabin. Lufthansa Group consists of three major airlines (Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa, and SWISS) and their subsidiaries. All three airlines operate Airbus narrowbodies on short and medium-haul flights, and the cabin featured on Lufthansa’s new Airbus A321neo is the first to feature what Lufthansa refers to as a “uniform cabin.”
This uniform cabin focuses on major aircraft components and systems including elements of the galley and cabin design. According to Lufthansa, the new uniform cabin will allow the airline group to transfer aircraft between Austrian, Lufthansa, and SWISS more easily.
The new cabin found aboard Lufthansa’s first Airbus A321neo will become the standard on all Lufthansa Group Airbus narrowbodies moving forward, with the first already in service. Passengers looking to experience the new digs can catch the aircraft on flights between Lufthansa’s major German hubs including Berlin, Frankfurt, and Hamburg.
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees