Louisville Airport Named After ‘Native Son’ Muhammed Ali
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Louisville, Kentucky, has renamed its airport after “The Greatest.”
As of Wednesday, the airport will hence forth be known as Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport to honor the iconic boxing champion, who was born in Louisville. The airport’s International Air Transport Association location code, SDF, will not change.
“Muhammad Ali belonged to the world, but he only had one hometown, and fortunately, that is our great city of Louisville,” the city’s mayor, Greg Fischer, said in a statement. “Muhammad became one of the most well-known people to ever walk the Earth and has left a legacy of humanitarianism and athleticism that has inspired billions of people. It [is] important that we, as a city, further champion The Champ’s legacy, and the airport renaming is a wonderful next step.”
— FlyLouisville (SDF) (@FlyLouisville) January 16, 2019
The airport’s new name is the result of a year-long decision process by Louisville’s Airport Authority Board. According to the mayor, part of the decision was based on research showing that Muhammad Ali has much greater name recognition than Louisville.
“Muhammad was a global citizen, but he never forgot the city that gave him his start. It is a fitting testament to his legacy,” Ali’s widow, Lonnie Ali, said in a release.
Ali was named Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the 20th Century and later in life became a United Nations Messenger of Peace. He died in 2016 in Scottsdale, Arizona, at the age of 74 due to complications from Parkinson’s Disease. His grave is in Louisville’s Cave Hill Cemetery.
Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport serves 31 destinations and accommodated about 3.47 million passengers in 2017.
Featured image by Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees