This Store Is Where Unclaimed Luggage Gets a Second Chance at Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Unclaimed Baggage Center is basically a lost luggage abyss of everything that was never claimed at the baggage carousel. This 40,000-square-foot store located in Scottsboro, Alabama, which sells, showcases and donates misplaced luggage from all over the world, receives more than one million items each year.
If an airline can’t reunite a lost bag with its owner after 90 days, the Unclaimed Baggage Center purchases the leftover luggage and repurposes what’s inside. And, with about 7,000 new items stocked each day, visitors can find just about anything. Brenda Cantrell, an Unclaimed Baggage Center’s brand ambassador, has been with the company for the past 20 years and saays some of the most memorable things she’s seen come through include a live snake, a suitcase full of vacuum packed frogs, full suits of armor and a 40.95-carat emerald. The emerald was found in a bag filled with Mardi Gras beads from the ’90s and a collector bought it for $16,000. Some of these more interesting items land a spot in the center’s museum: think the Hoggle puppet from the 1986 film “Labyrinth” or a traditional, hand painted, silk Chinese Dragon kite.
The store has several departments: women’s, men’s, children’s, footwear, formal wear, electronics, sporting goods, jewelry, books and luggage. Every item is sorted, cleaned and tested. The products sell at 20 to 80 percent below retail and items that are deemed unsellable are sometimes recycled or donated to various charities, like Salvation Army and Love Luggage for Foster Children.
The center also offers a variety of experiences and services, such as watching the opening of an unprocessed bag, a personal shopping assistant, a cafe and a pet boarder. And, located next to the main center is a “little” store with bargain deals that’s three floors and has a 4,000-square-foot children’s section.
The store has been around since 1970 and as Alabama’s top tourism attraction, it receives nearly a million visitors each year. Nothing is available online, so you’ll have to physically go to the store if you want to purchase anything. If you’re planning on road-tripping anytime soon, you’ll definitely want to add this stop to your list of spots to hit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees