A 240,000-Square-Foot Adults-Only ‘Hunger Games’ Amusement Park Is Opening in China
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Toto, we’re not in Disney World anymore.
This summer, the global entertainment company Lionsgate will open the first “adult-oriented” Asian theme park, Forbes reported. Located about an hour from Hong Kong it will offer 25 different attractions based on Hollywood blockbusters, such as “The Hunger Games,” “Divergent” and “Now You See Me.” Because what better way to live out your fantasy of wanting to be in a movie than going to an amusement park about fictional dystopian societies?
You’ll find the park itself in Hengqin, Zhuhai, and it’s actually part of a project called Novotown that is focusing on tourism and entertainment development. It will differ slightly from traditional amusement parks because the focus won’t be on adrenaline-pumping roller coasters as much as it will be on virtual reality experiences. According to Variety, the park will open on July 31.
The “Hunger Games” attraction will have its own Capital Club and Peeta’s Bakery — never mind the fact you’ll be able to go on a shopping spree at Capital Couture. Yes, all of the outfits will be as outrageous as what you see in the movies . . . That is, if Cinna has anything to say about it. There will be state-of-the-art simulators, too, including one where you flee the city and its “peacekeepers” on an ATV. Oh, and beware of the splashes of black tar and genetically-engineered wasps. Like we said: Adults only.
Can’t get enough of dystopian futures? You’re in luck! “Divergent” — the hit 2014 movie starring Shailene Woodley — will have its own interactive attraction, with plenty of physical challenges. Weird flex, but OK.
If you’re more of a werewolf and vampire fan, hop on over to the “Twilight” attraction. Here, you’ll be able to run with the wolves (and Jacob, of course) through the woods. No word on if Edward Cullen will be there to save you, though.
Dave Park, a creative director at Thinkwell Group who helped to design the park, told Forbes, “We get to immerse people in these incredibly lush and visual worlds and combine motion simulation and physical effects that surround you and map you into this digital world and an extension of the physical world you are interacting with on the ride.”
Details are still scarce, but be sure to purchase your tickets with a credit card that earns you bonus points on entertainment spending. And if you really want to go all out on your trip, fly business class on one of these airlines and you’ll be arriving to Hong Kong in style.
Just leave your children at home, and hope that the odds are ever in your favor.
Featured image courtesy of Lionsgate
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees