Eligible SPG Members Now Have Lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier Perks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While many Marriott members have experienced some frustration following the merger, at least one group of former SPG elites likely woke up to a very pleasant upgrade today: Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (soon to be Bonvoy Titanium Elite).
2018 was actually the final year Marriott offered Platinum Premier for life, and certain SPG members were grandfathered in. According to the chain:
“Members who reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018, will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available.”
Marriott has confirmed that eligible accounts have now been upgraded — if you see Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite reflected in your profile online or via the SPG or Marriott Rewards apps, you should be good to go with Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium once that launches next month.
I, for one, made an extra push at the end of 2018 to hit that 750-night requirement, finishing the year with 755 (my stats below reflect the six nights I’ve stayed so far this year).
Lifetime Platinum Premier members are eligible for standard Platinum benefits, including suite upgrades, complimentary enhanced Wi-Fi, breakfast at many hotels and lounge access. Additionally, members earn a 75% points bonus and are eligible for Marriott’s “48-Hour Guaranteed Availability” program, allowing them to always book a paid room at most sold out hotels, except over blackout periods, such as during “special events.”
Featured image of the St. Regis Bora Bora by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.